No matter how old you are, your oral health is still important. As we age, not only should we take into account our eating and drinking habits for our physical health, but also because what we eat and drink can drastically affect our oral health too. The more time we spend making the right decisions, the better off we will be down the road. As we age, it is important to remember to keep up our daily routines. Below are a few tips to get started:
– Brush Daily: Brush at least twice a day using soft bristles. If manual brushing is too difficult, use an electric toothbrush.
– Avoid Hard Snacks: It’s important to avoid hard snacks that can damage your weakened teeth. Hard snacks include hard lollipops, popcorn kernels, or chewing on ice.
– Make Time for your Dentist: Make sure you visit your dentist as directed for a professional cleaning or oral exam.
– Quit Bad Habits: If you smoke, drink heavy alcohol, or chew tobacco, you are at a much higher risk for gum disease, tooth decay, tooth loss, and cancer.
– Clean Your Dentures: If you have dentures, be sure to remove them and clean them daily.
– Floss Daily: Floss at least once a day using floss or a dentist-approved flossing tool.
Follow these important guidelines, and oral health care in your twilight years can be much more enjoyable. If you have not made time for your dentist at Riverdale Dental Arts, and would like to make an appointment with Dr. Sheldon Kupferman, please contact us today. We can be reached at 718-578-4458 or by stopping by our office in Riverdale, New York. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.