A common oral health risk that many people experience at least once in their lives is experiencing a dental emergency. Oral emergencies happen when your mouth suffers immediate damage, which can arise from blunt trauma, accidents or even the foods you eat. Below, we have provided a list of common accidents and injuries that can lead to oral emergencies, and what you can do until you can see our dentist for repairs:
- A lost dental crown: Dab a cotton swab in clove oil and cover up the vulnerable tooth. Visit our dentist for repairs.
- A lost dental filling: Cover up the tooth with a small amount of dental cement or piece of sugarless chewing gum. Visit our dentist for repairs.
- A knocked-out tooth: Try to retrieve the tooth and place it in a tooth case, which can be purchased at your local store. Our dentist may be able to insert your tooth back into its socket; however, you will need to visit our dentist within about 60 minutes for this to be an option.
- Object stuck between the teeth: Gently try to dislodge the object with an interdental cleaner. Never try to use sharp objects, such as a toothpick or a pin.
- Chipped or broken teeth: Make sure you rinse out your mouth to remove any debris. Apply gauze to the wound until bleeding stops. If bleeding continues after 10 minutes, go to the hospital.
If you experience any kind of dental emergency, it is important that you receive treatment as quickly as possible to help your smile retain its health and appearance. At Riverdale Dental Arts, Dr. Sheldon Kupferman can provide you and your family with expert dental emergency care in The Bronx, New York. Call us today at 718-548-1148 if you require immediate dental care.